DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING, RESEARCH AND STATISTICS
The Department of Planning, Research and Statistics (PRS) of the NPHCDA exists as a result of the provisions of the civil service reforms of 1988 which prescribed the creation of a planning, research and statistic function in every ministry and extra-ministerial department.
The PRS coordinates aspects of activities across departments and liaises with development partners in their relationships with the agency.
POLICY, STRATEGIC PLANNING AND PARTNER COORDINATION DIVISION
The general functions of this division relate to the policy, planning, collaboration and coordination of activities with key development partners and other relevant agencies and MDAs.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION DIVISION
The Monitoring and Evaluation Division is one of the four divisions in the PRS Department. It is charged with developing plans for the agency; monitoring and evaluating programmes, projects and their implementation; establishing and monitoring performance and efficiency targets for the various departments and sub-divisions of the agency.
The division is also charged with the following activities:
- Coordinating and analyzing routine data and survey data, and monitoring PHC service trends.
- Liaising with other departments/zones to ensure monitoring data is collected, analyzed and that appropriate feedback is given.
- Ensuring all PHC data is housed and archived in the division.
- Analyzing and interpreting data for planning and decision-making purposes.
- Coordinating the review and harmonization of monitoring and data tools.
- Giving feedback on analyzed data to departments and other key stakeholders.
HEALTH INFORMATION SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT DIVISION
The Health Information System Development Division is generally charged with the responsibility of supporting the development of the PHC system through information communication technology (ICT), capacity building and the development of effective ICT and data management processes. The division has 2 sub-divisions namely: Geographic Information System and HMIS.
OPERATIONS RESEARCH DIVISION
The Operational Research division is one of four divisions of the department of Planning, Research and Statistics and was created in June 2010 as part of the agency’s institutional strengthening agenda. The statutory responsibilities of the division include but are not limited to the following:
- Operational research of PHC programmes and activities to strengthen the development of the PHC system in Nigeria.
- Planning and executing PHC surveys and other research.
- Providing technical and financial support to states and LGAs on health systems research.
- Publishing PHC developments in scientific journals.
- Actively promoting PHC and systems research at state and LGA levels; and
- Advocacy to policy-makers using results-based evidence for necessary action aimed at improving the health outcomes of the nation.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT UNIT
The Project Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (PMEU) of the PRS Department came actively alive in the second quarter of the year under review. The PMEU is tasked with monitoring and supervising the execution of all agency capital projects from initiation to completion to ensure they are completed on time and according to specifications.