DEPARTMENT OF PRIMARY HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT
Primary Health Care System Development is the department saddled with the responsibility of providing technical support to states, LGAs and communities in the area of improving access to quality PHC services that are people oriented, development of health systems utilizing infrastructures that ensure effective community co-management and optimal utilization of available resources, both human and material.
It also ensures the development of the primary health care system through capacity building and the development of effective managerial processes.
FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Provides technical support to states, LGAs and communities geared towards ensuring access to quality primary health care services.
- Provides support in the area of institution strengthening by providing support to PHC manpower training institutions (universities, schools of midwifery and schools of health technology) across the country.
- The department has been providing support to states and LGAs through the Midwives Service Scheme (a scheme fully funded by the federal government under the MDGs-DRG grant) by recruiting and deploying midwives and community health workers to selected rural primary health care facilities nationwide.
- The department also supports the creation of high performing and empowered workforce for PHC in the country through training of PHC workers on various aspects of PHC such as integrated PHC services for all PHC workers, quality improvement of PHC services, Comprehensive Emergency Obstetrics Care (CEOC) for doctors, Life Saving Skills for midwives, Modified Life Saving Skills for CHEWs etc.
- Primary Health Care Systems Development produces operational guidelines, protocols, training manuals and other relevant materials for basic equipment, essential drugs and health facilities for effective implementation of the PHC system.
- The department promotes the role of women in PHC implementation.
The Department achieves its mandate through effective and efficient functioning of its three divisions namely:
- Human Resource for Health
- Health Financing
- Health System Support